Growing up, our parents always told us that we need our sleep so we can grow. As kids we put up a big fit about it, as teenagers/young adults we wanted to sleep in as late as possible. But now that most of us are older, how much sleep do we need?
For kids or growing young adults, they need a lot more sleep than we do. As much as we’d love to sleep in until 10 every morning, it’s not something we need.
Older adults and seniors need about seven to eight hours of sleep. For a consistent sleep schedule, adults should:
- Try to wake up at the same time and go to bed at the same time.
- Spend less time in bed during the day; otherwise adults will have a harder time falling asleep when it’s actually time to go to bed.
- Avoid caffeine, sweets and too much booze in the evening.
- Avoid television in bed or right before bed.
- With better health, it’s easier for adults to fall asleep and stay asleep.
Check back for more health tips and health news!